Wauwl is a chat messenger based on XMPP (Jabber), suitable for Google Talk/+, Facebook and other XMPP services. Registration with a Google Talk/Google+ account is automated using OAuth2. Other services require manual setup.
Wauwl has been developped with the latest Android API’s and communicates with XMPP services through an Android Service. It also has a smart way of dealing with small and large screens for Phone and Tablets. Wauwl requires Android version 3 or higher.
Functions and capabilities
- Tested with Google+, Facebook Chat, Ejabberd
- Support for TLS en SASL for save encrypted communication
- VCard support
- For each contact the last 50 messages are kept in memory
- Separate service for XMPP communication
- Register with Google Talk/+ through your Google account (oauth2)
- Display most common Smileys in messages
- Messages can be copied or shared through other apps
- Set nicknames for contacts
- Send and handle subscription request
- Roster supports groups
- Smart support for small and large screens
- Multi language support: English, Dutch, German, Spanish, Portuguese and French
- hide rosterlist
- show rosterlist
- double tap
- show/hide offline contacts in roster
- long-tap on roster
- show roster contact menu
- single-tap on a message
- show message menu
- XEP0012 Last activity
- XEP0092 Version
- XEP0199 Ping
Wauwl can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
See this page for some connection examples.
Wauwl uses the Smack XMPP library asmack: https://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/smack/
Screenshots and documentation
Mainscreen: left the roster with contacts, right a conversation with a contact.
Action double-tap hides the offline contacts in roster
Action swipe-left hides the roster
Tap on ‘Available’ top right shows status menu and shows our current status or availability
Main menu subscribe to action: specify an address (jid) and add it to roster
- shows information about selected contact
- changes nickname of contact
- removes subscription and contact from roster
- bounce message back to sender
- copy message to clipboard
- share message through other apps
Screenshots on a Samsung Galaxy SII with screen resolution 480×800.